Alternatives to Smoking: Cannabis Capsules
Alternatives to Smoking: Cannabis Capsules Without Any Mess
1) Preheat oven to 225F and let the temperature stabilize. It is important to make sure your oven is at the proper temperature before adding the cannabis.
2) Prepare the cannabis realizing one double O capsule (size OO capsule) contains .2 gram dried cannabis without tamping and about .3 gram with the tamping tool. My suggestion is to use leaf/trim/shake or immature/harsh bud for capsules and safe the good bud for vaporizing. Dry the cannabis thoroughly before grinding.
3) When dry, put the cannabis in a food processor (like a Cuisinart) and grind it up to a rough grind.
4) Transfer the rough-grind into a coffee bean grinder and pulverize it to dust. The smaller the grind, the more easily it fits into the capsules. Some say that the dust is more easily absorbed by the digestive system and is easier on those with irritable bowel or malabsorption problems.
5) Transfer the powder to an oven-worthy dish (like a Corning Ware Casserole dish with cover). Rake the cannabis dust with a fork to get it evenly distributed on the bottom of the dish to improve the odds of the cannabis getting to the proper temperature for activation.
6) Place the cannabis into the preheated oven for 20 minutes. It takes approximately 10 minutes at a temperature of 210F-220F to decarboxylarte (remove the carbon dioxide) from the raw cannabis material and make it more potent. The extra time allows for a uniform heating. For larger quantities of cannabis, you may need to stir the cannabis during the cooking time to assure an even temperature distribution. For temperature accuracy, use a thermometer and keep the temperature around 222F. WARNING: If the oven is too hot, you could vaporize and ruin the cannabis. At extreme temperatures, you might even ignite the cannabis. You are making medicine, so please use extra caution.
7) While the cannabis is activating, set up your capsule rack. You can obtain one from www.cap-m-qwik.com , but they are also sold at many health food stores where natural herb medicine is offered. My capsule rack is for 50 double O (OO) and seems a good size.
8) Remove the hot activated cannabis from the oven and pour or spoon it into a room temperature dish that will not burn you.
9) Make the capsules from the dried, ground, activated cannabis just like you would for any dried herb. The instructions for legal herbs are at the above mentioned website. use the tamping tool to pack it in the capsules if you want to raise the amount of cannabis contained in the capsule from about .2 grams to .3 grams.
10) The ideal dose one swallows will depend on the quality of the cannabis. It is always easier to add more medicine than it is to take it out once you swallow it, so "start low and go slow". An average dose might be one capsule every 4-6 hours as needed for pain or spasm. They work faster (30-60 minutes) and better if taken on an empty stomach (about 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating). With a big glass of water and empty stomach, the cannabis reaches the small intestine rapidly, without the belching or bad aftertaste issues mentioned with some oil capsules.
If you live in a Medical Marijuana state and use shake, these capsules are inexpensive and will eliminate the need for Marinol, which costs $15-$25 for one 10mg capsule. Any oral cannabis capsule can cause sleepiness. There seems to be fewer adverse effects, such as anxiety, with oral cannabis than with pure THC (like Marinol). Otherwise, adverse reactions for new users approximate those described at www.marinol.com .
Finally, when put in an Echinacea or vitamin container, they don't attract attention. A Medical Marijuana patient could easily medicate without attracting attention. We hope this helps patients find easier relief.
Experiment with different recipes and strains and varieties of Cannabis, as with all recipes; tolerances, and tastes vary. PLEASE - BE CAREFUL when using Cannabis flowers.
Print this recipe with the Printer-friendly link below!
Source: (Patient Submitted)